Center for Writing alumni—Joann Hawkins
read another alum's response
11 Questions for Center for Writing Alums
- Your name: JoAnn Hawkins
- Your email: email@example.com
- When did you work with us? Fall 1999-Spring 2000
- What was your role? writing consultant
- What education and/or occupation(s) have you pursued since working with us? BA from the U of MN in English Language & Literature;
BA from the U of MN in Art History;
MA from the University of Saint Thomas in English;
Certificate in Management Essentials from the U of MN;
Certificate in Financial Management from Cornell University (in process)
I manage production operations for field production at Twin Cities Public Television—tpt.
Reflections on your center experience:
- Did your work with us influence your educational or occupational choices? If so, how? I thought I wanted to teach English at the college level and working with the Writing Center helped. However, I was adjunct faculty at National American University for a few years and hated the for-profit "education" world.
- What are the most significant abilities, values, or skills that you developed in your work with us? The ability to help someone figure out how to correct and improve their own work—and not just correct it for him or her.
- Provide a link to your personal or professional website (if you’d like to).