a difference the Teaching with Writing course made for me. It gave
me language and research support to understand some of what I had
been groping my way toward, gave me many tools to meaningfully
integrate assignments into class learning, and was simply a wonderful
week of thinking about teaching.”
This seminar presents an opportunity for busy faculty members and instructors to focus
on strategies for integrating meaningful writing instruction into their courses. All discussions are interdisciplinary, lively, and practical. Each session also involves participants in hands-on activities using sample writing assignments and student-written drafts. By week's end, participants will have...
- isolated essential components of effective writing (and writing assignments),
- designed practical, low-stakes writing activities,
- devised (or revised) a lengthier, formal writing assignment,
- commented on sample drafts in ways that encourage revision,
- created (or revised) assignment-specific grading schemes that ensure fair assessment, and
- experimented with time-saving techniques.