Center for Writing alumni—Sarah Vickerman
read another alum's response
11 Questions for Center for Writing Alums
- Your name: Sarah Vickerman
- Your email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- When did you work with us? August 2008-December 2009
- What was your role? writing consultant, teaching/research assistant, Commanding English writing consultant
- What education and/or occupation(s) have you pursued since working with us? I finally completed my B.A. in summer of 2012 and am now working as a tutor in the White Bear Lake school district. I have also been asked to implement a writing center into the high schools!
Reflections on your center experience:
- Did your work with us influence your educational or occupational choices? If so, how? Yes!!! Working with the wonderful people at the C4W not only reinforced my desire to work in education, but it also helped me develop many teaching and tutoring techniques to fit a plethora of learning styles.
- What are the most significant abilities, values, or skills that you developed in your work with us? As I stated in the previous question, I learned many different styles of tutoring. Probably the most important skill I learned was how to ask students specific questions that will provoke thought and provide their own insights for their papers, as opposed to me giving them my thoughts and answers.
- In your personal and professional life today, how do you find yourself using what you learned from working with us? I use what I learned at the C4W daily in my work with high school students, but also in my personal life. I help my daughter with her homework using writing center tutoring techniques, and when I interact with people from other cultures I am able to establish rapport quickly from my experiences at the U of M.
- Anything else you want to tell us and your fellow Center alums? I miss you all!!! You were the greatest bunch of people I have ever worked with. I hope all is well with you and yours :)