Center for Writing alumni—Sara Van Wormer
read another alum's response
11 Questions for Center for Writing Alums
- Your name: Sara Van Wormer
- Your email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- When did you work with us? 1999-2000
- What was your role? teaching/research assistant
- What education and/or occupation(s) have you pursued since working with us? I am currently a Professor of Psychology at Macomb Community College in the metro Detroit area. I was also appointed to the Michigan Board of Psychology for a 4 year term beginning in 2013. Prior to these positions, I worked as an outpatient mental health therapist for 11 years, specializing in young adults and adolescents.
Reflections on your center experience:
- Did your work with us influence your educational or occupational choices? If so, how? Yes, very much so. Above anything else, I learned how to be professional and work well with colleagues.
- What are the most significant abilities, values, or skills that you developed in your work with us? Good organizational skills: how to communicate well with professional colleagues and faculty members. I also learned by observing the professional conduct and demeanor of the director and her administrative staff.
- In your personal and professional life today, how do you find yourself using what you learned from working with us? Now that I work in higher education, I can call upon the communication skills I developed working at CISW. Much of my job centered on developing proper communication in efforts to coordinate faculty events. Now as a full-time faculty member, I can easily communicate with a variety of coworkers at our college.